1. Overbeek CL, Lamb S, Williams M, Gwilym S, Vranceanu A-M, Funes C, et al. What Factors Are Associated With Disability After Upper Extremity Injuries? A Systematic Review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018;476(11):2190–215.
2. Zarzaur BL, Bell TM, Zanskas SA. Resiliency and quality of life trajectories after injury. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017 Feb;
3. Hsu JR, Kempton LB, O’Toole R V., Westberg J, Karunakar MA, Hak DJ, et al. Association Between 6-Week Postdischarge Risk Classification and 12-Month Outcomes After Orthopedic Trauma. JAMA Surg. 2018;21231(2):e184824.
4. Windle G, Bennett KM, Noyes J. A methodological review of resilience measurement scales. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2011 Feb;9:8.
5. Biesecker BB, Erby LH, Woolford S, Adcock JY, Cohen JS, Lamb A, et al. Development and validation of the Psychological Adaptation Scale (PAS): Use in six studies of adaptation to a health condition or risk. Patient Educ Couns. 2013;93(2):248–54.
6. REDCap [Internet]. Available from: https://www.project-redcap.org
7. PROMIS. PROMIS PF Scoring [Internet]. Available from: http://www.healthmeasures.net/administrator/ components/com_instruments/uploads/PROMIS Physical Function Scoring Manual.pdf
8. PROMIS. PROMIS Measures [Internet]. Available from: http://www.promishealth.com
9. Borowsky P, Muh S, et al. How Long Does It Take for Patients to Complete PROMIS Scores?: An Assessment of PROMIS CAT Questionnaires Administered at an Ambulatory Sports Medicine Clinic. Orthop J Sport Med. 2018 Aug;6(8):2325967118791180.
10. St. John MJ, Mitten D, Hammert WC. Efficacy of PROMIS Pain Interference and Likert Pain Scores to Assess Physical Function. J Hand Surg Am [Internet]. 2017;42(9):705–10. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2017.06.004
11. Fidai MS, Saltzman BM, Meta F, Lizzio VA, Stephens JP, Bozic KJ, et al. Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System and Legacy Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in the Field of Orthopaedics: A Systematic Review. Arthroscopy. 2018 Feb;34(2):605–14.
12. Smith BW, Dalen J, Wiggins K, Tooley E, Christopher P, Bernard J. The brief resilience scale: assessing the ability to bounce back. Int J Behav Med. 2008;15(3):194–200.
13. Fritz MS, Mackinnon DP. Required sample size to detect the mediated effect. Psychol Sci. 2007 Mar;18(3):233–9.
14. Schmidt F, Hunter JE. Measurement error in psychological research: Lessons from 26 research scenarios. Vol. 1, Psychological Methods. 1996. 199–223 p.
15. Vranceanu A-M, Bachoura A, Weening A, Vrahas M, Smith RM, Ring D. Psychological factors predict disability and pain intensity after skeletal trauma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb;96(3):e20.
16. Thompson KA, Bulls HW, Sibille KT, Bartley EJ, Glover TL, Terry EL, et al. Optimism and Psychological Resilience are Beneficially Associated With Measures of Clinical and Experimental Pain in Adults With or at Risk for Knee Osteoarthritis. Clin J Pain. 2018 Dec;34(12):1164–72.
17. Nota SPFT, Strooker JA, Ring D. Differences in response rates between mail, e-mail, and telephone follow-up in hand surgery research. Hand. 2014;9(4):504–10.
18. Jayakumar P, Teunis T, Vranceanu A-M, Moore MG, Williams M, Lamb S, et al. Psychosocial factors affecting variation in patient-reported outcomes after elbow fractures. J shoulder
Elb Surg. 2019 Aug;28(8):1431–40.
19. Jayakumar P, Teunis T, Williams M, Lamb SE, Ring D, Gwilym S. Factors associated with the magnitude of limitations during recovery from a fracture of the proximal humerus: predictors of limitations after proximal humerus fracture. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jun;101-B(6):715–23.
20. Kortlever JTP, Keulen MHF, Teunis T, Ring D, Driscoll MD, Reichel LM, et al. Does resiliency mediate the association of psychological adaptability with disability and pain in patients with an upper extremity injury or illness? J Psychosom Res. 2019 Feb;117:1–9.
21. Musich S, Wang SS, Slindee L, Kraemer S, Yeh CS. Association of Resilience and Social Networks with Pain Outcomes Among Older Adults. Popul Health Manag. 2019 Feb;
22. Esteve R, Bendayan R, López-Martínez AE, Ramírez-Maestre C. Resilience and vulnerability factors when pain is acute as predictors of disability: Findings from a two-year longitudinal study. Pain Med (United States). 2017;18(11):2116–25.
23. Wright LJ, Zautra AJ, Scott G. NIH Public Access. Ann Behav Med. 2008;36(1):70–80.
24. Martinez-Calderon J, Meeus M, Struyf F, Miguel Morales-Asencio J, Gijon-Nogueron G, Luque-Suarez A. The role of psychological factors in the perpetuation of pain intensity and disability in people with chronic shoulder pain: A systematic review. BMJ Open. 2018;8(4):1–16.
25. Connor KM, Davidson JRT. Development of a new Resilience scale: The Connor-Davidson Resilience scale (CD-RISC). Depress Anxiety. 2003;18(2):76–82.
26. Friborg O, Hjemdal O, Rosenvinge JH, Martinussen M. A new rating scale for adult resilience: what are the central protective resources behind healthy adjustment? Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2003;12(2):65–76.
27. McRae K, Ciesielski B, Gross JJ. Unpacking cognitive reappraisal: goals, tactics, and outcomes. Emotion. 2012;12(2):250–5.
28. Horn SR, Charney DS, Feder A. Understanding resilience: New approaches for preventing and treating PTSD. Exp Neurol [Internet]. 2016;284:119–32. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.expneurol.2016.07.002
29. Uddin Z, Woznowski-Vu A, Flegg D, Aternali A, Wickens R, Wideman TH. Evaluating the novel added value of neurophysiological pain sensitivity within the fear-avoidance model of pain. Eur J Pain. 2019 Jan;
30. Jayakumar P, Teunis T, Vranceanu A-M, Moore MG, Williams M, Lamb S, et al. Psychosocial factors affecting variation in patient-reported outcomes after elbow fractures. J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2019;
31. Jayakumar P, Overbeek CL, Lamb S, Williams M, Funes C, Gwilym S, et al. What factors are associated with disability after upper extremity injuries? A systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018;
32. Crijns TJ, Bernstein DN, Ring D, Gonzalez RM, Wilbur D, Hammert WC. Depression and Pain Interference Correlate With Physical Function in Patients Recovering From Hand Surgery. Hand. 2018;
33. Finger A, Teunis T, Hageman MG, Ziady ER, Ring D, Heng M. Association between Opioid Intake and Disability after Surgical Management of Ankle Fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017;
34. Menendez ME, Lawler SM, Ring D, Jawa A. High pain intensity after total shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elb Surg. 2018;
35. Jayakumar P, Teunis T, Williams M, Lamb SE, Ring D, Gwilym S. Factors associated with the magnitude of limitations during recovery from a fracture of the proximal humerus: predictors of limitations after proximal humerus fracture. Bone Joint J. 2019;
36. Kim HJ, Yang GS, Greenspan JD, Downton KD, Griffith KA, Renn CL, et al. Racial and ethnic differences in experimental pain sensitivity: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain. 2017;158(2):194–211.
37. Gazerani P, Arendt-Nielsen L. The impact of ethnic differences in response to capsaicin-induced trigeminal sensitization. Pain. 2005;
38. Wang H, Papoiu ADP, Coghill RC, Patel T, Wang N, Yosipovitch G. Ethnic differences in pain, itch and thermal detection in
response to topical capsaicin: African Americans display a notably limited hyperalgesia and neurogenic inflammation. Br J Dermatol. 2010;
39. Watson PJ, Latif RK, Rowbotham DJ. Ethnic differences in thermal pain responses: A comparison of South Asian and White British healthy males. Pain. 2005;
40. Riley JL, Cruz-Almeida Y, Glover TL, King CD, Goodin BR, Sibille KT, et al. Age and race effects on pain sensitivity and modulation among middle-aged and older adults. J Pain. 2014;