1. U.S. Census Bureau. The Older Population: 2010.
[Internet]. [Place unknown]: 2010 Census Briefs; Nov
2011 [cited 2017 Jul 5]. Available from: https://www.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Incidence
and costs to Medicare of fractures among Medicare
beneficiaries aged> or= 65 years--United States, July
1991-June 1992. MMWR: Morbidity and mortality
weekly report. 1996; 45(41):877-83.
3. Porter ME. A strategy for health care reform—
toward a value-based system. N Engl J Med. 2009;
4. Porter ME, Lee TH. The Strategy That Will Fix Health
Care. Harv Bus Rev 2013: 91(10) 50–70.
5. Lee VS, Kawamoto K, Hess R, Park C, Young J, Hunter
C, et al. Implementation of a Value-Driven Outcomes
Program to Identify High Variability in Clinical Costs
and Outcomes and Association With Reduced Cost
and Improved Quality. JAMA. 2016; 316(10): 1061-72.
6. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Bundled
payments for care improvement (BPCI) initiative:
General Information. [Internet]. [Place unknown]:
2014 [updated 31 Jan 20, cited 2017 Jul 5]. Available
7. Alternative Payment Model Framework and Progress
Tracking (APM FPT) Work Group. Alternative Payment
Model (APM) Framework. [Internet]. [Place unknown]:
12 Jan 2016. [cited 2017 Jul 5]. Available from: https://
8. Porter ME, Lee TH. From Volume to Value in Health
Care. JAMA. 2016;316(10):1047.
9. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Surgical Hip
and Femur Fracture Treatment (SHFFT) Model | Center
for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation [Internet].
[Place unknown]: [cited 2017 Jul 5]. Available from:
10. Chandra A, Dalton MA, Holmes J. Large increases in
spending on postacute care in Medicare point to the
potential for cost savings in these settings. Health Aff.
11. Nichols CI, Vose JG, Nunley RM. Clinical Outcomes and
90-Day Costs Following Hemiarthroplasty or Total
Hip Arthroplasty for Hip Fracture. J Arthroplasty.
12. Harada ND, Chun A, Chiu V, Pakalniskis A. Patterns of
rehabilitation utilization after hip fracture in acute
hospitals and skilled nursing facilities. Med Care.
13. Salar O, Baker PN, Forward DP, Ollivere BJ,
Weerasuriya N, Moppett IK, et al. Predictors of direct
home discharge following fractured neck of femur.
Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99(6):444–51.
14. Samuel AM, Webb ML, Lukasiewicz AM, Basques
BA, Bohl DD, Varthi AG, et al. Variation in Resource
Utilization for Patients with Hip and Pelvic Fractures
despite Equal Medicare Reimbursement. Clin Orthop
Relat Res. 2016;474(6):1486–94.
15. Garcia AE, Bonnaig JV, Yoneda ZT, Richards JE,
Ehrenfeld JM, Obremskey WT, et al. Patient variables
which may predict length of stay and hospital costs in
elderly patients with hip fracture. J Orthop Trauma.
16. Lubbeke A, Stern R, Grab B, Herrmann F, Michel JP,
Hoffmeyer P. Upper extremity fractures in the elderly:
consequences on utilization of rehabilitation care.
Aging Clin Exp Res. 2005;17(4):276–80.
17. Kehlet H, Thienpont E. Fast-track knee arthroplasty –
status and future challenges. Knee. 2013; 20:S29–33.
18. Stowers MD, Manuopangai L, Hill AG, Gray JR, Coleman
B, Munro JT. Enhanced Recovery after Surgery in
elective hip and knee arthroplasty reduces length of
hospital stay. ANZ J Surg. 2016;86(6):475–9.
19. Gwynne-Jones DP, Martin G, Crane C. Enhanced
Recovery after Surgery for Hip and Knee Replacements.
Orthop Nurs. 2017;36(3):203–10.
20. Tessier JE, Rupp G, Gera JT, DeHart ML, Kowalik TD,
Duwelius PJ. Physicians With Defined Clear Care
Pathways Have Better Discharge Disposition and
Lower Cost. J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31(9):54–8.
21. Skilled nursing facility (SNF) care. Medicare
Coverage. [Internet]. [Place unknown]: [cited 2017
Jul 5]. Available from: https://www.medicare.gov/
22. Inpatient hospital care. Medicare Coverage. [Internet].
[Place unknown]: [cited 2017 Jul 5]. Available
23. Lau C, Alpert A, Huckfeldt P, Hussey P, Auerbach D,
Liu H, et al. Post-acute referral patterns for hospitals
and implications for bundled payment initiatives.
InHealthcare 2014 (Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 190-195).
24. Baggot D, Edeburn A. Mandated bundled payments
compel hospitals to rethink post-acute care: Medicare’s
Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement program
signals an evolution in payment that demands a
strong strategic response from hospitals and health
systems. Healthcare financial management. 2015;