Document Type: CASE REPORT
Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran Knee and Sport Medicine Research and Education Center, Milad hospital, Tehran, Iran
Orthopedic Surgeon, Knee and Sport Medicine Research and Education Center, Milad hospital, Tehran, Iran
University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Science, Tehran, Iran
Knee and Sport Medicine Research and Education Center, Milad hospital, Tehran, Iran
Imam Hossein Medical Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Frozen shoulder is a glenohumeral joint disorder that perturbs movement because of adhesion and the existence of fibrosis in the shoulder capsule. Platelet-rich plasma can produce collagen and growth factors, which increases stem cells and consequently enhances the healing. To date, there is no evidence regarding the effectiveness of platelet-rich plasma in frozen shoulder. A 45-year-old man with shoulder adhesive capsulitis volunteered for this treatment. He underwent two consecutive platelet-rich plasma injections at the seventh and eighth month after initiation of symptoms. We measured pain, function, and ROM by the visual analogue scale (VAS), and scores from the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) questionnaire and goniometer; respectively. After the first injection, the patient reported 60% improvement regarding diurnal shoulder pain, and no night pains. Also, two-fold improvement for ROM and more than 70% improvement for function were reported. This study suggests the use of platelet-rich plasma in frozen shoulder to be tested in randomized trials.
- Uppal HS, Evans JP, Smith C. Frozen shoulder: a systematic review of therapeutic options. World J Orthop. 2015; 6(2):263-8.
- Codman EA. The shoulder: rupture of the supraspinatus tendon and other lesions in or about the subacromial bursa. Malabar: Krieger Pub Co; 1984.
- Robinson CM, Seah KT, Chee YH, Hindle P, Murray IR. Frozen shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012; 94(1):1-9.
- Manske RC, Prohaska D. Diagnosis and management of adhesive capsulitis. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2008; 1(3-4):180-9.
- Huang YP, Fann CY, Chiu YH, Yen MF, Chen LS, Chen HH, et al. Association of diabetes mellitus with the risk of developing adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a longitudinal population-based followup study. Arthritis Care Res. 2013; 65(7):1197-202.
- Uddin MM, Khan AA, Haig AJ, Uddin MK. Presentation of frozen shoulder among diabetic and non-diabetic patients. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2014; 5(4):193-8.
- Hand C, Clipsham K, Rees JL, Carr AJ. Long-term outcome of frozen shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008; 17(2):231-6.
- Shaffer B, Tibone JE, Kerlan RK. Frozen shoulder. A long-term follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1992; 74(5):738-46.
- Li JQ, Tang KL, Wang J, Li QY, Xu HT, Yang HF, et al. MRI findings for frozen shoulder evaluation: is the thickness of the coracohumeral ligament a valuable diagnostic tool? PLoS One. 2011; 6(12):1-5.
- Coombes BK, Bisset L, Vicenzino B. Efficacy and safety of corticosteroid injections and other injections for management of tendinopathy: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Lancet. 2010; 376(9754):1751-67.
- Marx RE. Platelet-rich plasma: evidence to support its use. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62(4):489-96.
- Hall MP, Band PA, Meislin RJ, Jazrawi LM, Cardone DA. Platelet-rich plasma: current concepts and application in sports medicine. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009; 17(10):602-8.
- Gautam VK, Verma S, Batra S, Bhatnagar N, Arora S. Platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injection for recalcitrant lateral epicondylitis: clinical and ultrasonographic evaluation. J Orthop Surg. 2015; 23(1):1-5.
- Mousavi SJ, Parnianpour M, Abedi M, Askary-Ashtiani A, Karimi A, Khorsandi A, et al. Cultural adaptation and validation of the Persian version of the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) outcome measure. Clin Rehabil. 2008; 22(8):749-57.
- Laska T, Hannig K. Physical therapy for spinal accessory nerve injury complicated by adhesive capsulitis. Phys Ther. 2001; 81(3):936-44.
- Calis M, Demir H, Ulker S, Kirnap M, Duygulu F, Calis HT. Is intraarticular sodium hyaluronate injection an alternative treatment in patients with adhesive capsulitis? Rheumatol Int. 2006; 26(6):536-40.
- Hsieh LF, Hsu WC, Lin YJ, Chang HL, Chen CC, Huang V. Addition of intra-articular hyaluronate injection to physical therapy program produces no extra benefits in patients with adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93(6):957-64.
- Rovetta G, Monteforte P. Intraarticular injection of sodium hyaluronate plus steroid versus steroid in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. Int J Tissue React. 1998; 20(4):125-30.
- Mishra A, Woodall J Jr, Vieira A. Treatment of tendon and muscle using platelet-rich plasma. Clin Sports Med. 2009; 28(1):113-25.
- Marx RE. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): what is PRP and what is not PRP? Implant Dent. 2001; 10(4):225-8.