Document Type: CASE REPORT
Department of Orthopaedics in MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka
MS Ramaiah Medical College
Consultant Spine Surgeon in Sparsh Hospital, Bangalore
MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
Spinal epidural haemorrhage may present as back pain associated with radicular symptoms and can be a catastrophic clinical scenario with progression to paraplegia or even sudden death. Being a rare entity, it needs a high index ofclinical suspicion to diagnose it. Fractures have been documented as a cause of hematorrachis but such hematomas only extend to one or two vertebral segments. Large epidural hematomas are usually associated with conditions like bleeding diathesis, arterio-venous malformations, plasma cell myeloma, and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Surgical management with immediate evacuation of the hematoma is the usual line of management in patients with neurological deficits. Though rare, monitored and careful conservative management can lead to recovery of neurological symptoms and resolution of the hematoma. We report a case of a very large post traumatic epidural hematorrchis extending to 11 vertebral segments from D3 to L1 vertebral bodies, who had a gradual spontaneous recovery.
- Groen RJ, Ponssen H. The spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma: a study of the etiology. J Neurol Sci. 1990;98(2-3):121-38.
- Beatty RM, Winston KR. Spontaneous cervical epidural hematoma. A consideration of etiology. J Neurosurg. 1984;61(1):143-8.
- Truumees E, Gaudu T, Dieterichs C, Geck M, Stokes J. Epidural Hematoma and Intraoperative Hemorrhage in a Spine Trauma Patient on Pradaxa (Dabigatran). Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012;37(14):863-5.
- Wang P, Xin XT, Lan H, Chen C, Liu B. Spontaneous cervical epidural hematoma during pregnancy: case report and literature review. Eur Spine J. 2011; 20(2):176-9.
- Cooper DW. Spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma. Case report. Neurosurg.1967;26(3):343-5.
- Rathe S. Spontaneous spinal epidural hemorrhage. J Indian Med assoc. 1969 1;52(5):222-3.
- Foo D, Rossier AB. Post-traumatic spinal epidural hematoma. Neurosurgery. 1982; 11(1 Pt 1):25-32.
- McQuarrie IG. Recovery from paraplegia caused by spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma. Neurology. 1978;28(3):224-8.
- Shin JJ, Kuh SU, Cho YE. Surgical management of spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma. Eur Spine J. 2006; 15(6):998-1004.
- Hentschel SJ, Woolfenden AR, Fairholm DJ. Resolution of spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma without surgery: report of two cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001; 26(22):E525-7.