Document Type: RESEARCH PAPER
1.Tissue Repair Lab, Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics (IBB), University of Tehran, Tehran Iran. 2.Research Center for Neural Repair (RCNR), University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
1.Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran. 2.Research Center for Neural Repair (RCNR), University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
Research Center for Neural Repair (RCNR), University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran.
1.Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran. 2.Joint Reconstruction Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
excessive scarring; paralleling the process in tendon reconstruction of the hand. Inspired by the advantages of the two-stage technique in tendon grafting and with encouraging preliminary results, we aimed to investigate the two-stage nerve grafting technique as an alternative method of secondary nerve repair.
Thirty female rats (~200 g) were randomly distributed into two groups (n=15). A 15 mm gap was created in the sciatic nerve of all the animals and an excessive extraneural scar was induced using the “mincing” method. In this method, a thin strip of muscle was removed, minced in a petri dish and returned to the peripheral nerve. In the two stage nerve graft group, a silicone tube was interposed in the first stage. After 4 weeks, in the second stage, the silicone tube was removed and a median nerve autograft was interposed through the newly formed vascularized sheath. In the conventional graft group, two nerve ends were protected with silicone caps in the first stage. After 4 weeks the caps were removed and the median graft was interposed. Behavioral assessments were performed at week 15 after surgery with the withdrawal reflex latency (WRL) and extensor postural thrust (EPT) and at the 3, 6 and 15-week time points with the TOA (toe out angle). Masson Trichrome staining method was used for histological assessments at week 15.
According to the EPT and WRL, the two-stage nerve graft showed significant improvement (P=0.020 and P =0.017 respectively). The TOA showed no significant difference between the two groups. The total vascular index was significantly higher in the two-stage nerve graft group (P<0.001).
Two-stage nerve graft using a silicone tube enhances vascularity of the graft and improves functional recovery.
- Ring D. Symptoms and disability after major peripheral nerve injury. Hand Clin. 2013; 29(3):421–5.
- Mafi P, Hindocha S, Dhital M, Saleh M. Advances of peripheral nerve repair techniques to improve hand function: a systematic review of literature. Open Orthop J. 2012; 6:60–8.
- Siemionow M, Uygur S, Ozturk C, Siemionow K. Techniques and materials for enhancement of peripheral nerve regeneration: a literature review. Microsurgery. 2013; 33(4):318–28.
- Derby BM, Wilhelmi BJ, Zook EG, Neumeister MW. Flexor tendon reconstruction. Clin Plast Surg. 2011; 38(4):607–19.
- Hunter JM, Salisbury RE. Flexor-tendon reconstruction in severely damaged hands. A two-stage procedure using a silicone-dacron reinforced gliding prosthesis prior to tendon grafting. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1971; 53(5):829–58.
- Culp RW. Reconstruction of flexor tendon with hunter tendon implant. Oper Tech Orthop. 1993; 3(4):298–302.
- Battiston B, Triolo PF, Bernardi A, Artiaco S, Tos P. Secondary repair of flexor tendon injuries. Injury. 2013; 44(3):340–5.
- Unglaub F, Bultmann C, Reiter A, Hahn P. Two-staged reconstruction of the flexor pollicis longus tendon. J Hand Surg Br. 2006; 31(4):432–5.
- Abdul-Kader MH, Amin MA. Two-stage reconstruction for flexor tendon injuries in zone II using a silicone rod and pedicled sublimis tendon graft. Indian J Plast Surg. 2010; 43(1):14–20.
- O’Shea K, Wolfe SW. Two-stage reconstruction with the modified Paneva-Holevich technique. Hand Clin. 2013; 29(2):223–33.
- Jeong SH, Gu JH, Han SK, Kim WK. Two-staged tendon reconstruction in flexor tendon ruptures secondary to fracture of the hamate hook. Ann Plast Surg. 2012; 69(2): 157–60.
- Sano K, Kimura K, Hashimoto T, Ozeki S. Two-stage tendon sheath reconstruction using sublimis tendon and silicone Penrose drain after severe purulent flexor tenosynovitis: a case report. Hand (NY). 2013; 8(3):343–7.
- Hunter JM, Jaeger SH, Matsui T, Miyaji N. The pseudosynovial sheath--its characteristics in a primate model. J Hand Surg Am. 1983; 8(4):461–70.
- Kamrani RS, Firuzi M, Nabian MH, Zanjani LO, Shaahrezaee M. Peripheral Nerve Graft in Severe Scar Tissue (Comparison of One Stage and Two Stage Nerve Graft). Iran J Orthop Surg. 2006; 4(4):1–7 (Persian).
- Zanjani L, Firouzi M, Nabian MH, Nategh M, Rahimi-Movaghar V, S Kamrani R. Comparison and evaluation of current animal models for perineural scar formation in rat. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2013; 16(7):886–90.
- Nabian MH, Nadji-Tehrani M, Zanjani LO, Kamrani RS, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Firouzi M. Effect of bilateral median nerve excision on sciatic functional index in rat: an applicable animal model for autologous nerve grafting. J Reconstr Microsurgery. 2011; 27(1):5–10.
- Thalhammer JG, Vladimirova M, Bershadsky B, Strichartz GR. Neurologic evaluation of the rat during sciatic nerve block with lidocaine. Anesthesiology. 1995; 82(4):1013–25.
- Gärtner A, Pereira T, Armada-da-Silva P, Amado S, Veloso A, Amorim I, et al. Effects of umbilical cord tissue mesenchymal stem cells (UCX®) on rat sciatic nerve regeneration after neurotmesis injuries. J Stem Cells Regen Med. 2014; 10(1):14–26.
- Masters DB, Berde CB, Dutta SK, Griggs CT, Hu D, Kupsky W, et al. Prolonged regional nerve blockade by controlled release of local anesthetic from a biodegradable polymer matrix. Anesthesiology. 1993; 79(2):340–6.
- Varejão AS, Cabrita AM, Geuna S, Melo-Pinto P, Filipe VM, Gramsbergen A, et al. Toe out angle: a functional index for the evaluation of sciatic nerve recovery in the rat model. Exp Neurol. 2003; 183(2):695–9.
- Schneider CA, Rasband WS, Eliceiri KW. NIH Image to ImageJ: 25 years of image analysis. Nat Methods. 2012; 9(7):671–5.
- Thil MA, Duy DT, Colin IM, Delbeke J. Time course of tissue remodelling and electrophysiology in the rat sciatic nerve after spiral cuff electrode implantation. J Neuroimmunol. 2007; 185(1-2):103–14.
- Albayrak BS, Ismailoglu O, Ilbay K, Yaka U, Tanriover G, Gorgulu A, et al. Doxorubicin for prevention of epineurial fibrosis in a rat sciatic nerve model: outcome based on gross postsurgical, histopathological, and ultrastructural findings. J Neurosurg Spine. 2010; 12(3):327–33.
- Lundborg G, Hansson HA. Regeneration of peripheral nerve through a preformed tissue space. Preliminary observations on the reorganization of regenerating nerve fibres and perineurium. Brain Res. 1979; 178(2-3):573–6.
- Lundborg G, Hansson HA. Nerve regeneration through preformed pseudosynovial tubes. A preliminary report of a new experimental model for studying the regeneration and reorganization capacity of peripheral nerve tissue. J Hand Surg Am. 1980; 5(1):35–8.
- Lundborg G, Dahlin LB, Danielsen NP, Hansson HA, Larsson K. Reorganization and orientation of regenerating nerve fibres, perineurium, and epineurium in preformed mesothelial tubes - an experimental study on the sciatic nerve of rats. J Neurosci Res. 1981; 6(3):265–81.
- Mackinnon SE, Dellon AL, Hudson AR, Hunter DA. Nerve regeneration through a pseudosynovial sheath in a primate model. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 75(6):833–41.
- Mackinnon SE, Dellon AL. A comparison of nerve regeneration across a sural nerve graft and a vascularized pseudosheath. J Hand Surg Am. 1988; 13(6):935–42.
- Sulaiman OA, Gordon T. Effects of short- and long-term Schwann cell denervation on peripheral nerve regeneration, myelination, and size. Glia. 2000; 32(3):234–46.
- Hall SM. The biology of chronically denervated Schwann cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999; 883:215–33.
- Belkas JS, Munro CA, Shoichet MS, Midha R. Peripheral nerve regeneration through a synthetic hydrogel nerve tube. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2005; 23(1):19–29.
- Takasugi H, Inoue H, Akahori O. Scanning electron microscopy of repaired tendon and pseudosheath. Hand. 1976; 8(3):228–34.