Document Type: RESEARCH PAPER
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran.
Department of Neurology, Bu Ali Teaching Hospital, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
General Practitioner in Imam Khomeini Hospital of Esfarayen, Esfarayen Faculty of Medical Sciences, Esfarayen, Iran
Faculty of medicine, Student research committee, Mazandaran University of medical sciences, Sari, Iran
Pain, a common phenomenon in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients, is associated with many symptoms and problems. To investigation severity and distribution of musculoskeletal pain in MS patients.
In this cross-sectional study, 115 members of the Mazandaran MS Association with confirmed MS were randomly selected to participate in the study. The patients were asked to fill out Numerical Rating Score and Nodric questionnaires, respectively. The data was analyzed by SPSS ver. 16 software.
The mean age of the participants was 30.43±5.86 years and 88 cases (76.5%) were female. The mean disease duration was 26.34±24.32 months and 87.8% of the cases were experiencing pain at the time of study. The mean pain severity was 3.75±2.25 and worst pain experienced was 5.73±2.12. The most common pain sites were: the knees (55.7%), wrist (43.5%), and neck (41.7%). Women experience higher prevalence of shoulder, upper back, and ankle pain (P
- Wingerchuk DM, Lucchinetti CF, Noseworthy JH. Multiple sclerosis: current pathophysiological concepts. Lab Invest. 2001;81(3):263-81.
- Pittock SJ, McClelland RL, Mayr WT, Jorgensen NW, Weinshenker BG, Noseworthy J, et al. Clinical implications of benign multiple sclerosis: A 20-year population-based follow-up study. Ann Neurol. 2004; 56(2):303-6.
- Buchanan R, Wang S, Tai-Seale M, Ju H. Analyses of the minimum data set: comparisons of nursing home residents with multiple sclerosis to other nursing home residents. Mult Scler. 2003;9(2):171-88.
- Ehde DM, Osborne TL, Jensen MP. Chronic pain in persons with multiple sclerosis. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2005;16(2):503-12.
- Solaro C, Brichetto G, Amato M, Cocco E, Colombo B, D’Aleo G, et al. The prevalence of pain in multiple sclerosis A multicenter cross-sectional study. Neurology. 2004;63(5):919-21.
- Svendsen KB, Jensen TS, Overvad K, Hansen HJ, Koch-Henriksen N, Bach FW. Pain in patients with multiple sclerosis: a population-based study. Arch Neurol. 2003;60(8):1089-94.
- Hirsh AT, Turner AP, Ehde DM, Haselkorn JK. Prevalence and impact of pain in multiple sclerosis: physical and psychologic contributors. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009;90(4):646-51.
- O’Connor AB, Schwid SR, Herrmann DN, Markman JD, Dworkin RH. Pain associated with multiple sclerosis: systematic review and proposed classification. Pain. 2008;137(1):96-111.
- Kerns RD, Kassirer M, Otis J. Pain in multiple sclerosis: a biopsychosocial perspective. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2002;39(2):225-32.
- Pöllmann W, Erasmus L-P, Feneberg W, Bergh FT, Straube A. Interferon beta but not glatiramer acetate therapy aggravates headaches in MS. Neurology. 2002;59(4):636-9.
- Michalski D, Liebig S, Thomae E, Hinz A, Bergh FT. Pain in patients with multiple sclerosis: a complex assessment including quantitative and qualitative measurements provides for a disease-related biopsychosocial pain model. J Pain Res. 2011;4:219-25.
- Dawson AP, Steele EJ, Hodges PW, Stewart S. Development and test–retest reliability of an extended version of the Nordic Musculoskeletal Questionnaire (NMQ-E): a screening instrument for musculoskeletal pain. J Pain. 2009;10(5):517-26.
- Induruwa I, Constantinescu CS, Gran B. Fatigue in multiple sclerosis—A brief review. J Neurol Sci. 2012; 323(1-2):9-15.
- Braley TJ, Chervin RD. Fatigue in multiple sclerosis: mechanisms, evaluation, and treatment. Sleep. 2010;33(8):1061-7.
- Compston A, Coles A. Multiple sclerosis. Lancet. 2008;372(9648):1502-17.
- Fazli M, Shayesteh-Azar M. Correlation between the fatigue with gender, age and disease duration in multiple sclerosis patients. Int J Med Invest. 2013;2(4):206-9.
- Solaro C, Uccelli MM. Pharmacological management of pain in patients with multiple sclerosis. Drugs. 2010;70(10):1245-54.
- Kenner M, Menon U, Elliott DG. Multiple sclerosis as a painful disease. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2007;79:303-21.
- Nurmikko TJ, Gupta S, Maclver K. Multiple sclerosis-related central pain disorders. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2010;14(3):189-95.
- Österberg A, Boivie J. Central pain in multiple sclerosis–sensory abnormalities. Eur J Pain. 2010; 14(1):104-10.
- Truini A, Barbanti P, Pozzilli C, Cruccu G. A mechanism-based classification of pain in multiple sclerosis. J Neurol. 2013;260(2):351-67.
- Kalia LV, OConnor PW. Severity of chronic pain and its relationship to quality of life in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2005;11(3):322-7.
- Svendsen KB, Jensen TS, Hansen HJ, Bach FW. Sensory function and quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis and pain. Pain. 2005;114(3):473-81.
- Hadjimichael O, Kerns RD, Rizzo MA, Cutter G, Vollmer T. Persistent pain and uncomfortable sensations in persons with multiple sclerosis. Pain. 2007;127(1-2):35-41.
- Beiske A, Pedersen E, Czujko B, Myhr KM. Pain and sensory complaints in multiple sclerosis. Eur J Neurol. 2004;11(7):479-82.
- Österberg A, Boivie J, Thuomas KÅ. Central pain in multiple sclerosis—prevalence and clinical characteristics. Eur J Pain. 2005;9(5):531-42.
- Archibald C, McGrath P, Ritvo P, Fisk J, Bhan V, Maxner C, et al. Pain prevalence, severity and impact in a clinic sample of multiple sclerosis patients. Pain. 1994;58(1):89-93.
- Ehde DM, Gibbons LE, Chwastiak L, Bombardier CH, Sullivan MD, Kraft GH. Chronic pain in a large community sample of persons with multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2003;9(6):605-11.
- Ehde D, Osborne T, Hanley M, Jensen M, Kraft G. The scope and nature of pain in persons with multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2006;12(5):629-38.
- Warnell P. The pain experience of a multiple sclerosis population: a descriptive study. Axone. 1991; 13(1):26-8.
- Bagnato F, Centonze D, Galgani S, Grasso MG, Haggiag S, Strano S. Painful and involuntary multiple sclerosis. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011;12(5):763-77.