Document Type: RESEARCH PAPER
Orthopedic Research Center,
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
Mashhad, 91766-99199 Iran
Orthopedic Research Center,
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences,
Mashhad, 91766-99199 Iran
Orthopedic Research Center
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
Mashhad, 91766-99199 Iran
To test the psychometric properties of the Persian version of Zarit Burden Interview (ZBI-12) in the Iranian opulation.
After translating and cultural adaptation of the questionnaire into Persian, 100 caregiver spouses of Iran-Iraq war (1980-88) veterans with chronic spinal cord injury who live in the city of Mashhad, Iran, invited to participate in the study. The Persian version of ZBI-12 accompanied with the Persian SF-36 was completed by the caregivers to test validity of the Persian ZBI-12.A Pearson`s correlation coefficient was calculated for validity testing.In order to assess reliability of the Persian ZBI-12, we administered the ZBI-12 randomly in 48 caregiver spouses again 3 days later.
Generally, the internal consistency of the questionnaire was found to be strong (Cronbach’s alpha 0.77). Intercorrelationmatrix between the different domains of ZBI-12 at test-retest was 0.78. The results revealed that majority of questions the Persian ZBI_12 have a significant correlation to each other. In terms of validity, our results showed that there is significant correlations between some domains of the Persian version the Short Form Health Survey -36 with the Persian Zarit Burden Interview such as Q1 with Role Physical (P=0.03),General Health (P=0.034),Social Functional (0.037), Mental Health (0.023) and Q3 with Physical Function (P=0.001),Viltality (0.002), Socil Function (0.001).
Our findings suggest that the Zarit Burden Interview Persian version is both a valid and reliable instrument for measuring the burden of caregivers of individuals with chronic spinal cord injury.
- Tekin L, Safaz Y, Goktepe AS, Yazycyodlu K. Comparison of quality of life and functionality in patients with traumatic unilateral below knee amputation and salvage surgery. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2009; 33(1):17-24.
- Buijck BI, van Eijk MS, Zuidema SU, Gerritsen DL, Koopmans RT, van der Linde H. Determinants of quality of life in older adults after lower limb amputation and rehabilitation in skilled nursing facilities. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60(4):796-8.
- Malek F, Somerson JS, Mitchel S, Williams RP. Does limb-salvage surgery offer patients better quality of life and functional capacity than amputation? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012; 470(7):2000-6.
- Dajpratham P, Tantiniramai S, Lukkanapichonchut P. Health related quality of life among the Thai people with unilateral lower limb amputation. J Med Assoc Thai. 2011; 94(2):250-5.
- Hammarlund CS, Carlstrom M, Melchior R, Persson BM. Prevalence of back pain, its effect on functional ability and health-related quality of life in lower limb amputees secondary to trauma or tumour: a comparison across three levels of amputation. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2011; 35(1):97-105.
- Rasmussen ML. The eye amputated - consequences of eye amputation with emphasis on clinical aspects, phantom eye syndrome and quality of life. Acta Ophthalmol. 2010; 88 Thesis 2:1-26.
- Remes L, Isoaho R, Vahlberg T, Viitanen M, Koskenvuo M, Rautava P. Quality of life three years after major lower extremity amputation due to peripheral arterial disease. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2010; 22(5-6):395-405.
- Abdelgadir M, Shebeika W, Eltom M, Berne C, Wikblad K. Health related quality of life and sense of coherence in Sudanese diabetic subjects with lower limb amputation. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2009; 217(1):45-50.
- Morimoto T, Schreiner AS, Asano H. Caregiver burden and health-related quality of life among Japanese stroke caregivers. Age Ageing. 2003; 32(2):218-23.
- Blair JA, Patzkowski JC, Schoenfeld AJ, Cross Rivera JD, Grenier ES, Lehman RA, Jr., et al. Spinal column injuries among Americans in the global war on terrorism. The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume. 2012; 94(18):e135(1-9).
- Mousavi B, Soroush MR, Montazeri A. Quality of life in chemical warfare survivors with ophthalmologic injuries: the first results form Iran Chemical Warfare Victims Health Assessment Study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2009; 7:2.
- Saadat S, Javadi M, Divshali BS, Tavakoli AH, Ghodsi SM, Montazeri A, et al. Health-related quality of life among individuals with long-standing spinal cord injury: a comparative study of veterans and non-veterans. BMC Public Health. 2010; 10(1):6.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Vahedi E, Ganji R, Bozorgnia S. Skeletal sarcoma on the site of retained war bullet fragments and a literature review on long-term complications of retained war shells. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2013; 1(2):107-11.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Soltani-Moghaddas SH, Birjandinejad A, Omidi-Kashani F, Bozorgnia S. Quality of life among veterans with chronic spinal cord injury and related variables. Arch Trauma Res. 2014; 3(2):e17917.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Shojaei BS, Golhasani-Keshtan F, Soltani-Moghaddas SH, Fattahi AS, Mazloumi SM. Quality of life and the related factors in spouses of veterans with chronic spinal cord injury. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2013; 11:48.
- Engelhardt TO, Jeschke J, Piza-Katzer H. About the self-reported quality of life after amputation of the hand in patients with upper extremity tumors]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2008; 40(1):23-30.
- Boutoille D, Feraille A, Maulaz D, Krempf M. Quality of life with diabetes-associated foot complications: comparison between lower-limb amputation and chronic foot ulceration. Foot Ankle Int. 2008; 29(11):1074-8.
- Asano M, Rushton P, Miller WC, Deathe BA. Predictors of quality of life among individuals who have a lower limb amputation. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2008; 32(2):231-43.
- Eiser C, Darlington AS, Stride CB, Grimer R. Quality of life implications as a consequence of surgery: limb salvage, primary and secondary amputation. Sarcoma. 2001; 5(4):189-95.
- Zarit SH, Zarit JM. The hidden victims of Alzheimer’s disease:families under stress. New York: New York University Press. 1985.
- Bachner YG, O’Rourke N. Reliability generalization of responses by care providers to the Zarit Burden Interview. Aging Ment Health. 2007;11(6):678-85.
- Zarit SH, Orr NK, Zarit JM. The memory and behavior problems checklist, in Families under stress: Caring for the patient with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. New York: University Pres; 1985.
- Bédard M, Molloy DW, Squire L, Dubois S, Lever JA, O’Donnell M. The Zarit Burden Interview: A new short version and screening version. Gerontologist. 2001; 41(5):652-7.
- Lai DW. Validation of the Zarit Burden Interview for Chinese Canadian Caregiver. Social Work Research. 2007;31(1):45-53
- Haghpanah S, Nasirabadi S, Ghaffarpasand F, Karami R, Mahmoodi M, Parand S, et al. Quality of life among Iranian patients with beta-thalassemia major using the SF-36 questionnaire. Sao Paulo medical journal = Revista paulista de medicina. 2013; 131(3):166-72.
- Martin-Carrasco M, Otermin P, Pérez-Camo V, Pujol J, Agüera L, Martín MJ, et al. EDUCA study: Psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the Zarit Caregiver Burden Scale. Aging Ment Health. 2010; 14(6):705-11.
- Kumamoto K, Arai Y, Ueda T, Washio M. Cross-validation of the short version of the Japanese version of the Zarit Caregiver Burden Interview (J-ZBI_8). Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi. 2004; 41(2):204-10.
- Montazeri A, Goshtasebi A, Vahdaninia M, Gandek B. The Short Form Health Survey (SF-36): Translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Qual Life Res. 2005; 14(3):875-82.
- Jafari H, Lahsaeizadeh S, Jafari P, Karimi M. Quality of life in thalassemia major: reliability and validity of the Persian version of the SF-36 questionnaire. Journal of postgraduate medicine. 2008; 54(4):273-5.
- Montazeri A, Goshtasebi A, Vahdaninia M, Gandek B. The Short Form Health Survey (SF-36): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation. 2005; 14(3):875-82.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Fattahi AS. Long-term clinical outcomes of Iranian veterans with unilateral transfemoral amputation. Disability and rehabilitation. 2009; 31(22):1873-7.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Shojaei BS, Golhasani-Keshtan F, Soltani-Moghaddas SH, Fattahi AS, Mazloumi SM. Quality of life and the related factors in spouses of veterans with chronic spinal cord injury. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2013;11:48.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Makhmalbaf H, Birjandinejad A, Keshtan FG, Hoseini HA, Mazloumi SM. The Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) in Persian Speaking Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2014; 2(1):57-62.
- Kazdin AE. Research Design in Clinical Psychology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon; 2010.
- Nunnally JC, Bernstein IH. Psychometric theory. ed r, editor. New York: McGraw; 1994.
- Tabachnick BG, Fidell LS. Using multivariate statistics 4th ed. New Jersey: Pearson Education; 2012.
- Bachner YG. Preliminary assessmen t o f the psychometric properties of the abridged A rabic version of the Zarit Burden Interview among caregivers of cance r patients. European Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2013; 17(5):657-60.
- Kumamoto K, Arai Y. Validation of ‘personal strain’ and ‘role strain’: subscales of the short version of the Japanese version of the Zarit Burden Interview (J-ZBI_8). Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2004; 58(6):606-10.
- Hagberg K, Branemark R. Consequences of non-vascular trans-femoral amputation: a survey of quality of life, prosthetic use and problems. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2001; 25(3):186-94.
- Chan TSF, Lam LCW, Chiu HFK. Validation of the Chinese Version of the Zarit Burden Interview. Hong Kong J Psychiatery. 2005; 15:9-13.
- Seng BK, Luo N, Ng WY, Lim J, Chionh HL, Goh J, et al. Validity and reliability of the Zarit Burden Interview in assessing caregiving burden. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2010; 39(10):758-63.
- Chattat R, Cortesi V, Izzicupo F, Del Re ML, Sgarbi C, Fabbo A, et al. The Italian version of the Zarit Burden interview: a validation study. Int Psychogeriatr. 2011; 23(5):797-805.
- Haley WE, Levine EG, Brown SL, Berry JW, Hughes GH. Psychological, social, and health consequences of caring for a relative with senile dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1987; 35(5):405-11.
- Hadryś T, Adamowski T, Kiejna A. Mental disorder in Polish families: is diagnosis a predictor of caregiver’s burden. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2011; 46(5):363-72.
- Reine G, Lancon C, Simeoni MC, Duplan S, Auquier P. Caregiver burden in relatives of persons with schizophrenia: an overview of measure instruments. Encephale. 2003; 29(2):137-47.
- Parande A, SiratiNir M, Khaghanizadeh M, Karimizarchi AA. Comparison the effect of training of conflict resolution and relaxation on quality of life’s spouses of war veterans affected Post traumatic stress disorder with major depression disorder. The Quarterly Journal of Fundamentals of Mental Health. 2007;9(33&34):67-76.
- Unalan H, Gençosmanoğlu B, Akgün K, Karamehmetoğlu S, Tuna H, Ones K, et al. Quality of life of primary caregivers of spinal cord injury survivors living in the community: controlled study with short form-36 questionnaire. Spinal Cord. 2001; 39(6):318-22.
- Weitzenkamp DA, Gerhart KA, Charlifue SW, Whiteneck GG, Savic G. Spouses of spinal cord injury survivors: the added impact of caregiving. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78(8):822-7.
- Ogilvie AD, Morant N, Goodwin GM. The burden on informal caregivers of people with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2005; 7:25-32.
- Blanes L, Carmagnani MI, Ferreira LM. Health-related quality of life of primary caregivers of persons with paraplegia. Spinal Cord. 2007; 45(6):399-403.
- Ankri J, Andrieu S, Beaufils B, Grand A, Henrard JC. Beyond the global score of the Zarit Burden Interview: useful dimensions for clinicians. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005; 20(3):254-60.
- Braun M, Scholz U, Hornung R, Martin M. Caregiver burden with dementia patients. A validation study of the German language version of the Zarit Burden Interview. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2010;43(2):111-9.