Document Type: RESEARCH PAPER
Orthopaedic Hand and Upper Extremity Service Harvard Medical School Massachusetts General Hospital Yawkey Center, Suite 2100 55 Fruit Street Boston, MA 02114
Elbow surgery is shared by several subspecialties. We were curious about the most common elbow
surgeries and their corresponding diagnoses in the United States.
We used the National Hospital Discharge Survey (NHDS) and the National Survey of Ambulatory Surgery (NSAS) data gathered in 2006-databases that together provide an estimate of all inpatient and ambulatory surgical care in the US.
An estimated 150,000 elbow surgeries were performed in the US in 2006, 75% in an outpatient setting. The most frequent diagnosis treated operative was enthesopathy (e.g. lateral epicondylitis) and it was treated with several different procedures. More than three quarters of all elbow surgeries treated enthesopathy, cubital tunnel syndrome, or fracture (radial head in particular). Arthroscopy and arthroplasty accounted for less than 10% of all elbow surgeries.
Elbow surgery in the United States primarily addresses enthesopathies such as tennis elbow, cubital tunnel syndrome, and trauma. It is notable that some of the most common elbow surgeries (those that address enthesopathy and radial head fracture) are some of the most variably utilized and debated.
- Badia A, Stennett C. Sports-related injuries of the elbow. Journal of hand therapy : official journal of the American Society of Hand Therapists. 2006;19(2):206-26.
- Murthi AM, Keener JD, Armstrong AD, Getz CL. The recurrent unstable elbow: diagnosis and treatment. Instructional course lectures. 2011;60:215-26.
- Byram IR, Kim HM, Levine WN, Ahmad CS. Elbow arthroscopic surgery update for sports medicine conditions. The American journal of sports medicine. 2013;41(9):2191-202.
- Kalicke T, Muhr G, Frangen TM. Dislocation of the elbow with fractures of the coronoid process and radial head. Archives of orthopaedic and trauma surgery. 2007;127(10):925-31.
- Jenkins PJ, Watts AC, Norwood T, Duckworth AD, Rymaszewski LA, McEachan JE. Total elbow replacement: outcome of 1,146 arthroplasties from the Scottish Arthroplasty Project. Acta orthopaedica. 2013;84(2):119-23.
- Varitimidis SE, Plakseychuk AY, Sotereanos DG. Reconstruction of the elbow: surgeons’ perspective. Journal of hand therapy : official journal of the American Society of Hand Therapists. 1999;12(2):66-72.
- Kandemir U, Fu FH, McMahon PJ. Elbow injuries. Current opinion in rheumatology. 2002;14(2):160-7.
- Benjamin M, Toumi H, Ralphs JR, Bydder G, Best TM, Milz S. Where tendons and ligaments meet bone: attachment sites (‘entheses’) in relation to exercise and/or mechanical load. Journal of anatomy. 2006;208(4):471-90.
- Dawson J, Doll H, Boller I, Fitzpatrick R, Little C, Rees J, et al. Factors associated with satisfaction in patients undergoing elbow surgery: a prospective study. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery / American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons [et al]. 2010;19(5):635-44.
- National Hospital Discharge Survey. Public use data file documentation: Centers for Disease Control. National Center for Health Statistics; 2006 [cited 2012 November]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhds.htm.
- National Survey of Ambulatory Surgery. Public use data file documentation.: Centers for Disease Control. National Center for Health Statistics.; 2006 [cited 2012 November]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nsas.htm.
- DeFrances CJ, Lucas CA, Buie VC, Golosinskiy A. 2006 National Hospital Discharge Survey. Natl Health Stat Report. 2008(5):1-20.
- Ahmad Z, Siddiqui N, Malik SS, Abdus-Samee M, Tytherleigh-Strong G, Rushton N. Lateral epicondylitis: A review of pathology and management. Bone Joint J. 2013;95-B(9):1158-64.
- Shiri R, Viikari-Juntura E. Lateral and medial epicondylitis: role of occupational factors. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2011;25(1):43-57.
- Gao Y, Zhang W, Duan X, Yang J, Al-Qwbani M, Lv J, et al. Surgical interventions for treating radial head fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;5:CD008987.
- Ruchelsman DE, Christoforou D, Jupiter JB. Fractures of the radial head and neck. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(5):469-78.
- Baecher N, Edwards S. Olecranon fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(3):593-604.
- Nork SE, Jones CB, Henley MB. Surgical treatment of olecranon fractures. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2001;30(7):577-86.
- Newman SD, Mauffrey C, Krikler S. Olecranon fractures. Injury. 2009;40(6):575-81.
- Duckworth AD, Bugler KE, Clement ND, Court-Brown CM, McQueen MM. Nonoperative management of displaced olecranon fractures in low-demand elderly patients. The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume. 2014;96(1):67-72.
- Palmer BA, Hughes TB. Cubital tunnel syndrome. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35(1):153-63.
- Lozano-Calderon S, Anthony S, Ring D. The quality and strength of evidence for etiology: example of carpal tunnel syndrome. J Hand Surg Am. 2008;33(4):525-38.
- Assmus H, Antoniadis G, Bischoff C, Hoffmann R, Martini AK, Preissler P, et al. Cubital tunnel syndrome - a review and management guidelines. Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2011;72(2):90-8.