Document Type: CASE REPORT
Massachusetts General Hospital
We present two patients with a displaced fracture of the small finger metacarpal base, where the shaft of the small
finger metacarpal was wedged between the bases of the ring and small finger metacarpals. The striking appearance
on radiographs led to initial recommendations for surgery, but both patients preferred non-operative treatment and did
well in the short term without surgery
- Bushnell BD, Draeger RW, Crosby CG, Bynum DK. Management of intra-articular metacarpal base fractures of the second through fifth metacarpals. J Hand Surg Am. 2008;33:573-83.
- Yoshida R, Shah MA, Patterson RM, Buford WL Jr, Knighten J, Viegas SF. Anatomy and pathomechanics of ring and small finger carpometacarpal joint injuries. J Hand Surg Am. 2003;28:1035-43.
- Hunter JM, Cowen NJ. Fifth metacarpal fractures in a compensation clinic population. A report on one hundred and thirty-three cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1970;52:1159-65.
- Sahu A, Gujral SS, Batra S, Mills SP, Srinivasan MS. The current practice of the management of little finger metacarpal fractures--a review of the literature and results of a survey conducted among upper limb surgeons in the United Kingdom. Hand Surg. 2012; 17:55-63.
- Le Nen D. Extra-articular fractures of the digital metacarpals and phalanges of the long fingers. Chir Main. 2013.
- Budoff JE. Small finger metacarpal neck fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2010; 35(3):512; author reply 513.